- DNS spoofing also known as pharming attack. As we know, using the Domain Name System (DNS), people can identify Web sites with human-readable names (Such as yahoo.com). And computers can continue to treat them as IP addresses (such as 184.108.40.206). For this, a special server computer called a DNS server maintains the mappings between domain names and the corresponding IP addresses. The DNS server could be located anywhere. Usually, it is with the Internet Service Provider (ISP) of the users. With this background, the DNS spoofing attack works as follows.
- Suppose that there is a merchant (Bob) whose site’s domain name is bob.com. And the IP address is 220.127.116.11. Therefore, the DNS entry for Bob in all the DNS servers is maintained as follows: www.bob.com 100.1 0.10.20
- The attacker (say, Trudy) manages to hack and replace the IP address of Bob with her own (say 18.104.22.168) in the DNS server maintained by the ISP of a user, say Alice. Therefore, the DNS server maintained by the ISP of Alice now has the following entry: bob.com 100.2 0.20.20
- When Alice wants to communicate with Bob’s site, her web browser queries the DNS server maintained by her ISP for Bob’s IP address, providing in the domain name (bob.com). Alice gets the replayed (Trudy’s) IP address, 22.214.171.124.
- Now Alice starts communicating with Trudy, believing him to be Bob.
- Such attacks of DNS spoofing are quite common and cause a lot of havoc. Even worse, the attacker does not have to listen to the conversation on the wire. He has to simply be able to hack the DNS Server of the ISP and replace a single IP address with his own.
- A protocol called as DNSSec is use to repeal such attacks.
Chirag Deora, , Network Security, atul kahate notes network security, blowfish algorithm, bscit notes, bscit notes for mumbai university, download advanced java practical tybscit of mumbai university, network security notes, network security notes for tybscit semester 5, network security practicals, tybscit semester 5 practicals, 0
BlowFish was developed by Bruce Schneier. Blowfish is a symmetric block cipher.It encrypts 64 bit block with variable-length key,...
Kaushik Kini, , Network Security, atul kahate notes network security, Caesar Cipher, Caesar Cipher in network security, network security notes, tybscit network security Caesar Cipher, 0
Caesar cipher is substitution technique cipher In Caesar cipher we replace each alphabet with the alphabet that is actually...
Kaushik Kini, , Network Security, atul kahate notes network security, confidentiality in network security, network security notes, tybscit network security confideniality, 0
The principle of confidentiality specifies that only the sender and intended recipient should be able to access the...
Shahnuma, , Network Security, atul kahate notes network security, idea algorithm, idea algorithm in network security, mumbai university tybscit notes, tybscit network security notes, 0
IDEA – International Data Encryption Algorithm. It is patent protected to prevent fraud and privacy.It was meant to be a...
Kaushik Kini, , Network Security, atul kahate notes network security, ethical and legal issues, ethical and legal issues in network security, network security notes, tybscit network security, tybscit network security ethical and legal issues, 0
Most ethical and legal issues in computer system are in the area of individual’s right to privacy versus the...
Kaushik Kini, , Network Security, atul kahate notes network security, network security notes, tybscit network security types of criminal attacks, types of criminal attacks in network security, 0
Fraud:- Modern fraud attacks concentrate on manipulating some aspects of electronic currency, credit cards, electronic stock certificates, checks, letters...
Shahnuma, , Network Security, atul kahate notes network security, download bscit notes of Mumbai University, network security notes, network security notes for tybscit semester 5, Simple columnar transposition technique, 0
Simple columnar transposition technique is an example of transposition technique. Steps for Simple columnar transposition technique are as follow....
Green Computing Book
C++ Interview Questions
- Advance Java (15)
- Advance Sql (8)
- ASP.NET with C# (16)
- Computer Graphics (3)
- Cyber Law (22)
- Digital Electronics 16-17 (2)
- Fybscit Semester 1 (1)
- FYBSCIT Semester 1 Question Bank (2)
- Fybscit Semester 2 (1)
- Imperative Programming (6)
- Linux Administration (3)
- Unit 1 (3)
- Network Security (33)
- News (40)
- Posts (1)
- Professional Communication Skills (2)
- Project (1)
- Project Management (1)
- Software Testing (1)
- Tybscit Question Papers (11)
- TYBSCIT Semester 5 Question Paper and Solution November 2017 (C75:25)
- TYBSCIT Semester 5 Exam Dates of October 2017 CBSGS 75:25 Postponed
- Tybscit Semester 5 Question Paper & Solutions November 2016 (75:25)
- FYBSCIT Semester 1 Question Paper & Solutions – October 2016 (75:25)
- FYBSCIT Semester 2 Question Paper & Solutions – March 2017